Thread: Best .243 bullet for Wiley?

Basic Member

Best .243 bullet for Wiley?

A little patience please on my asking this age-old question...again.

For 6 decades with the rifle SCOPES we had - have always depended on bullet speed to be able to maximize my cartridge's "ethical" LR reach. LR meaning 400 +/- yards. .270 Win, 7 Rem Mag, 300 Win., etc, etc. No complaints. None. DRT's common.

Today's scopes and bullet advances are allowing us to extend our accuracy limits.

My .243 Win has a 1:8 twist. With old school thinking (see my 2nd para), I've stayed with 70 to 80 gr for Wiley. Reason for this post is my wanting to explore heavier bullets for LR varmint work. Target work will of course precede the hunting but # 1 purpose of bullet is for Coyote hunting...maybe out 600 +/- yards.

Your thoughts on bullet?

Thanks.

Team Savage
    Don't know how heavy you want to go. In my 6br, I can use the Nosler 95gr ballistic tip with good results. It's been used on woodchucks to 500 yards, they don't move. On steel targets at 700 yards, according to my calculator, there's 480 ft/lbs of energy. Starting numbers are 2955fps MV, .010 off the lands, using 30.2 grains Varget. This bullet may work for you.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MS50 View Post
    Don't know how heavy you want to go. In my 6br, I can use the Nosler 95gr ballistic tip with good results. It's been used on woodchucks to 500 yards, they don't move. On steel targets at 700 yards, according to my calculator, there's 480 ft/lbs of energy. Starting numbers are 2955fps MV, .010 off the lands, using 30.2 grains Varget. This bullet may work for you.
    M550.....

Thanks. Will look into them. I'm a fan of the BT. Due to availability, I took the 90 gr AB to the long range school in VA. It WORKED and then some. Just want to make sure what I choose now on the heavier side will work on a 30 lb dog out there a bit. Not saving hides.

Basic Member
    Hornady 87 bthp or 87 vmax would work very well. Carry plenty energy for long shots and will expand well. You won’t be disappointed. Powders in the H414 to imr 4350 burn rate range work well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theloyalsavage View Post
    Hornady 87 bthp or 87 vmax would work very well. Carry plenty energy for long shots and will expand well. You won’t be disappointed. Powders in the H414 to imr 4350 burn rate range work well.
    Hey...

Thanks. Wish either one was in stock locally. Not.

I do have the Sierra 85 gr BTHP on my shelf. << Good references. My fall back position if I don't find a 95gr suitable for Coyote. I know my 90 gr AB would work on the LR accuracy requirement - but but would prefer a faster opening LR bullet for Wiley.

And maybe I'm just over-thinking all this? Not my first time. Those 85 grains all get excellent reviews. Back to the drawing board.

Read a Coyote hunter post earlier today saying he sights in at 300 yards. 4" up at 100 - 12" low at 400. Interesting. Some merit to that. Before dialing knocked on my door - I was always a 3" up at 100 yards hunter. 4 up and 12 down - will definitely think about that.

Greatly appreciate the feedback folks. Really do. Your first-hand experiences are a whole lot better than Reloading Manual / ballistic speculating.

Be safe.

Cheers.

Basic Member
    FWIW, my 6BR I get 2850fps with 105gn Bergers and their hunting bullet is almost as accurate as their match bullet.

I used the 100 gn Hornady SP bullet for my do-all load in my.243. Reloader 22 proved to be the best powder for that bullet. Use a Remington 9 1/2 primer for it. Velocity ran in the upper 2900s to 3000fps.

That load killed my fair share of feral hogs, coyotes, and alligators.

Biggest hog I took with it weighed 265 and I zapped it at 214 yards.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Basic Member
    Thank you all for your replies. Much appreciated. And yes, they are helpful.

Basic Member
    Over the years I have tried a lot of bullets in the 243. I really like the Hornady 87 V Max

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Over the years I have tried a lot of bullets in the 243. I really like the Hornady 87 V Max
    Most folks heartily agree with you. Shop called, now in stock. Holding 2 boxes for me. For target work, I intend to exlore some of the heavier bullets. For Wiley I think I'll stay with the 75 gr to 87 gr.

Be safe - thanks.

Cheers.

Basic Member
    On our Coyote hunt later this year...

My friend who will be on this hunt with me, has asked me to choose the .243 bullet for our 2 rifles. Both rifles are very accurate with some 90 gr stuff.

I can't count all the good references with the 87 gr V Max. < Bought 2 boxes this morning as recommended to me on this forum. (Thank you) 2nd option is the 85 gr Sierra BTHP. The 3rd option is the 75 gr V Max for the significant (<IMHO) 200 fps at the muzzle increase. It's highly likely our shots will be under 300 yards but...we're told...terrain might very well offer longer opportunities.

2 questions:

1) 85/87 gr or 75 gr???
    2) The 2 Sierra boxes on my shelf say GAMEKING BTHP. At the store this morning, the 2 Sierra boxes on the shelf said 85 gr VARMINT. Should I make another trip to the store to exchange what I have for the Varmint???

Thanks for your time here.