Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any secrets to improve the gun?

Basic Member

Congrats. I remember the day my .223 did that the first time. Before you forget save a picture of that target and date it.

Now you get to decide if you want to go down the rabbit hole or not :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post

Now you get to decide if you want to go down the rabbit hole or not :)
    It may be too late for that!

Went out again today, and damn near did it 2x more. Got very close, but always that 1 shot that just doesn't go where I want it to.

At this point, I think I have the gun and the ammo load where it needs to be. Better front and rear bags are the next purchase.

Go ahead and get some good bags but keep tinkering with the load. Wouldnt worry as much about the bullseye as getting them into the smallest ragged hole ( group) possible. Adjusting the point of impact onto the bullseye after you find the magic load is a piece of cake. It sounds like youre on a node. Keep working with what youve got with small changes in charge weight and seating depth, maybe even try a different primer. If you keep tinkering and shooting you're gonna find it. Its there. Sometimes it takes a while and sometimes you luck right into it quickly. Other good sources to look into loads are Sierra Bullets Data has accuracy loads that are a great place to start tinkering Or the Nosler Guide which lists most accurate powder tested and most accurate charge weight tested. Since each rifle is an individual your mileage may vary but Ive found the data feom each source to be a very good starting point on multiple occasions.
    Good luck
    PS here's the number for the Sierra tech line. They're very helpful folks and do extensive testing
    800-223-8799
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Go ahead and get some good bags but keep tinkering with the load. Wouldnt worry as much about the bullseye as getting them into the smallest ragged hole ( group) possible. Adjusting the point of impact onto the bullseye after you find the magic load is a piece of cake.
    I was raised as a "hit the bullseye" shooter since I was a kid for hunting, and I've never changed. Coming from a tactical training AR shooting style, hitting the mark has always been most important, because there's no guarantee of a follow-up shot.

I can shoot MOA groups, it's just more consistent with this rifle/ammo combination. Where I live, be it hunting of SHTF, you'll seldom have an opportunity to shoot even 100 yards. The terrain and millions of trees make sure of that. I'm shooting for both precision and accuracy. It's fun and challenging

Appreciate the info!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12